29399

Woodhall Spa, in East Lindsey, Lincolnshire.

Woodhall Spa came about by accident in 1811 after John Parkinson of Old Bolingbroke made several attempts to find coal. After spending several thousand pounds and sinking a shaft over 1,000 feet deep, the enterprise was abandoned on account of the now rising spring. The spring flows daily through soft spongy rock at a depth of 520 feet.

About 1834, the then Lord of the Manor, Thomas Hotchkin, ascertained by analysis that the water was in fact valuable, being an iodine and bromine containing mineral spring. He spent nearly £30,000 sinking a well and erecting the Spa Baths and the Victoria Hotel. The Victoria Hotel burned down on Easter Day, 4 April 1920, when an electrical fault in the boiler room spread to the linen room above. The Spa Baths finally closed when the well collapsed in 1983.

Other hotels sprang up due to Woodhall Spa’s popularity, including:
•The Legacy Woodhall Spa Hotel, which opened in 1882 as the Eagle Lodge Hotel. It was converted into a nursing home in the 1960s and reopened as a hotel in 1991.
•The Golf Hotel was originally called Clevedon House and has been a school, a club and a hotel of the same name.
•The Royal Hydro Hotel, which with the attached Winter Gardens was destroyed in a German air raid during World War II in August 1943, although part of it survived and became the Mall Hotel.

The Petwood Hotel is so called because it was originally built at the turn of the 20th century as a house for Grace, Lady Weigall, who had it constructed in her favourite wood, her "pet wood". Lady Weigall turned her former home into a hotel in 1933.

The heyday of Woodhall Spa was recorded by a local photographer, John Wield, and many of his photographs are displayed in the Woodhall Spa Cottage Museum, which was his home. Much of the village’s Victorian elegance remains, and since January 1991 it has been a designated conservation area.